Friday, November 13, 2015

IT'S NOT JUST A RUSTED COFFEE CAN



My neighbor, friend, confidant and Co-BBQ pitmaster brought this to my house 13 and a half years ago (or there abouts). 
I still remember it like it was yesterday. 
The very first time he visited and sat on my porch he said. 
"You need to get an ash tray for out here." 
I said "Why? I don't smoke." 
"For people like me who do." he replied. 
"Well if you need an ash tray you can go get one." 

The next day or a few days later he stopped by to sit on the porch again, second time ever, bringing with him an empty coffee can. 
"Here, put this under the seat and now you have an ash tray." 
So I did. 

That's where it stayed for close to 14 years. 
It went years without being emptied. 
Yesterday I was sweeping off the porch and it got knocked over, revealing a huge hole in the bottom. I text him immediately. 
"That sucks." 

Yes...yes it does. Like I said, it's not just a rusted coffee can.




Seemed a lil prophetic to me Lucy.
Just like the falling star in the sky the night I was humming "God of Wonders" all day.
Could be wrong.
Who knows.

"What do you do down there?" 
People from the city ask.

Well, we sit around and look at old rusted coffee cans and see it as a signal from God that a new leaf is about to be turned over.

Crazy indeed.
Love you Lucy.

No comments: