Sunday, June 3, 2007

A Legend.............

When I first moved here the porch ceiling was all rotted out and had a big hole in it. I had to keep the door shut cause I didn't want to look at it. I was going for a “Polynesian” feel, and with the lightly stained wood and the white ceiling fan, I think we got it. (Many thanks to Dave for all the help, or it wouldn't have ever happened.)

Over the years it has become more than I ever thought it could have been. Me and my son sit out here and watch the thunderstorms, "watch the world go by", play with toys, watch the birds. People have passed out here, spilled nachos here, played their guitars here, grilled out here, gotten away from their wives/girlfriends here, tried to build fires here, sat out in the cold and the rain here,sat and watched so many lightning bugs they got dizzy here, and just gotten down right silly here. Mostly though it's just a good place to just hang out and "be".

The best times have always been when people just stop by out of the blue. It is the most laid back, unpretentious, relaxed place in the world to me. It's a small group, the porch goers, but we manage to get by. Gets spooky at night with the fog and the coyotes sometimes, especially with some old unknown acoustic John Lee Hooker song playing, or Doug McClouds, "Devil been beating his wife." I have always said I would like a bumper sticker that said, "I'd rather be on my porch". Oh, and the music, well, those of you that know, know, and those of you that don't, well you should...

One night late (go figure) me and my neighbor saw a coon come up while Pink Floyd was playing. I said, "So what's his name Christian, Pink or Floyd?" He said, "Floyd man, Floyd the raccoon" He came around a lot. He would hang on the tree while I threw soccer balls at him. I miss Floyd, but you know, there has been something digging around in the trash barrel lately, hum, maybe it's Floyd's cousin, and there you go, in a nut shell, you've got it , "The Porch", not just a place, but a relaxed state of mind.............

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

ksampson0609 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.