Monday, July 6, 2009

Eric Bibb at the WC Handy Blues Fest

We were blessed enough to see Grammy nominated Eric Bibb on both Wednesday and Saturday. I had a song of his from a Blues Revue Magazine Sampler CD called "Shine On" and I loved it. I knew my buddy Dave was going to like him as well. My buddy Dave's always been more into the singer songwriter types than me so I knew this would be right up his alley. First song he opened both his sets with was Mississippi John Hurts "Stack o' Lee Blues". Which was the basis for a song that later became to be known as "Stagger Lee". Ask Joe where Mississippi John Hurt was born, it's kind of an inside joke but it's still funny. I asked Mr. Bibb if he was going to play "Shine On "during Saturdays set but he said that since he had recorded that particular song "with about 50 other players" that he might have to save it for the next festival when he has a band with him. I said "well it's a great song" and he said 'well thank you very much"...Thats one of the great thing about thw WC Handy Fest, the ability to see the artist up close...I Don't really remember too much about Wednesdays set (me and Dave both blame Joe for that!), but highlights from Saturdays set included, "Connected", "Saucer and Cup"(excellent word play) and "Kokomo". I hope he comes back I would love to see him again.

No comments: