Monday, July 6, 2009

Albert Cummins & Shemekia Copeland at the 2009 WC Handy Blues Fest

I decided to do both of these artist together as 1 Blog Post due to the fact they both had their sets cut short due to the thunderstorms that came in off of the river. I had heard of Albert Cummins a while back and I have a version of him doing "99 and a half", and I always really liked it and it seemed like he could really wail so I was looking forward to seeing him. We (me and dave) had seen Shemekia twice before, once at the Tampa Bay Blues Festival and once when she opened for Buddy Guy at the Kentucky Center for the Arts in Louisville so we knew what she brings to the table. Albert was inspired by Stevie Ray Vaughn, and SRV's back up band Double trouble thought enough of him to record a record together. Thats pretty high praise in my book. Rest of the band was a little bit lackluster, but hey it's free live music in the park the Saturday before fathers day so who's complainin? Somebody yelled out "Hendrix' and he said "do they let you play that down here?" He then launched into Voodoo Chile. A couple of minutes into it that storm kicked up the wind, and the black clouds came rollin in and Albert said "it's just Jimi passin through"...it was an awesome sight. Me an Dave always take cover in the caboose behind a building in the park, this was the second year we have had to do so, but we don't mind, we figure we're there for the duration anyway. Due to the rain Alberts set was cut short and Shemeika took the stage. She played some new songs off her new record and although I couldn't tell you the name of any of them I enjoyed them. She always bring a ton of energy to her shows, and seeing her do "ghetto child" acapella was very much worth waiting the rain out. Her Bass player makes the funkiest faces, and played a really skinny upright Bass that was crazy. The announcer said Shemekia's shoes (six inch spiked zebra stripped stilettos) were the best to ever grace the stage at the Handy Fest, but to me that honor goes to Ana Popovic's gold lame stilettos from last year. Something bout gold lame I guess... I tried and tried to get a good picture of Shemekias' shoes but the on stage monitors were always in the way. Now playing: Shemekia Copeland - Ghetto Child via FoxyTunes

No comments: