Wednesday, March 23, 2016

So



since we're revisiting Mississippi John Hurt :-).
Who seems to have won the Blues Artist of Springtime Porch Sitting 2016 award.




I remember, 
this one time,
at the NOC...

(Maybe you get that reference, maybe not :-).

Somebody asked me, "So, what kind of blues do you listen to?
They knew I went to festivals. But I knew it was a setup question.
They might as well have said, "I don't think you know anything about it, prove to me you do."
Cause that's kinda the way it was in the NOC at times lol.

I just looked at 'em like, "Alright, you asked, I hope you got a few minutes"

I then proceeded with something akin to the following:

"Right now I'm listening to some Mississippi Hill Country Blues along the likes of Junior Kimbrough and RL Burnside and their clans, long single string droning hypnotic stuff, roots from Mali tribal rhythms. Completely different from the rhythmic structure of Delta Blues with Robert Johnson and all those guys, But some days I might listen to a lil Memphis Blues and everybody knows about BB and Beale Street and West Memphis and Howling Wolf. Tampa Red had his own thing going on in Fla before moving to Chicago, where everybody knows about The Wolf and Muddy electrifying Delta Blues on Chess Records and theres a whole host of other characters in Chicago as well: Lil Walter, Buddy Guy, Junior Wells, Etta James, Willie Dixon, so sometimes I visit that. Got that Roadhouse thing goin on down in Texas I like, Kansas City I believe originated Jump Blues, Brian Setzer has kinda brought some of that back. Barrelhouse piano rolls out of New Orleans, Alligator Records out of Chicago been putting out a solid repertoire of material for decades now, Blind Pig Records got their thing going on out west, kinda horns and a more real soulful sound. East Coast particularly the Carolinas and Virginia got that country fingerpicking thing, I haven't really got into that much boogie-woogie.
Louisiana is\was the home of some Cajun Roots players, Tab Benoit and Gatemouth Brown come to mind. John Lee Hooker out of the midwest, particularly Detroit was completely different from everybody, St. Louis had Chuck Berry, I mean just on and on and on. But right now? It's all about some Mississippi Hill Country Blues."

He never asked me another question about the blues :-).

It's kinda an earlier version of the guy at the liquor asking me if I got the right bottle of bourbon :-).

Love ya Lucy.


No comments: