Thursday, October 20, 2022

I

 


use the New International Version of the Bible (put together by the former International Bible Society) a lot and it has most of my highlighted, underlined, and starred notes etc :-).

But I have had a few instances where I am in  total disagreement with their wordings of text, I highly recommend having several versions of the bible in your home to be able to cross reference with and always default back to the King James Version when in doubt about a particular text and even then have a King James Bible that has a  Hebrew/Chaldean dictionary handy for the Old Testament and a Greek Dictionary for the new testament such as in this:




I can not recall all the verses that I have had problems with the NIV with but I can provide two glaring examples, one of which was on full display this past Sunday during worship:


Jeremiah 29:11
New International Version

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

As compared to:



Jeremiah 29:11
King James Version

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

It's like the seed of the modern prosperity gospel were planted right there in that one verse, especially when taken out of the context of the rest of the passage as Pastor Bridgette so adeptly pointed out Sunday.


and this one as well:



Daniel 12:4
New International Version

But you, Daniel, roll up and seal the words of the scroll until the time of the end. Many will go here and there to increase knowledge.”



Daniel 12:4
King James Version

But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.


The King James Version just says that knowledge will be increased, NOT,  that many will be running to and fro for the purpose of increasing knowledge. 

The very first time I ever read that passage I thought those were two very distinct thoughts, almost worthy of being two different sentences and that was when reading the NIV Version. Then I read the King James one day and just kinda went:
oh thank goodness, that makes much more sense.

Point is:
Have a couple of versions available to be able to cross reference and have one with the dictionaries of the original Hebrew/Greek words :-).






No comments: