Thursday, March 10, 2016

The


way my mind works lol.

I'm just layin on the couch at Christians.
Watchin a movie with him and Hallie. 
Out of nowhere lol.
"Ride on Josephine baby ride on"
Great lol.
Now it's stuck in my head the rest of the night lol.
Had to listen to it when I got home to get it out of my head.
Didn't work lol.
It's still there.


You know what beat that is right?
Pretty unmistakable.

Saw George Thorogood :-).
At  The Brown Theatre in Louisville.
Right down the street from where Kindred is on Broadway.
Before The Kentucky Center for The Arts bought it and remodeled it.
Went with my buddy rock-n-Roll Rob Morrison.
My roommate in college.
The guy that brought home Blantons, JW Dant and a whole lot of other bourbons nobody had ever heard of at the time.
He's memorialized on my cooler on the porch.
That's a whole nother story lol.

Rob passed away a few years back.
Swine Flu.
Sucks.

Anyway.
We were going to go to the U of L preseason basketball game over in New Albany.
U of L had a really good team the year before and were looking to do so again.
Streets were packed with cars.
People were walking back and getting in their cars.
"Hey, whats going on?"
"Fire Marshall is turning people away, too many people in the gym."
Damn.

Now what?
We just looked at each other.
We both knew he was playing that night.
At pretty much the same time we said "George Thorogood!"
Off we went.

"Dude I don't have enough money for a ticket."
Rob says "You got enough to buys us a couple of beers?"
"Yeah."
"You buy the drinks, I'll spring for the tickets."
"Deal."
Rob was always cool like that.

We get there, get tickets, place is close to being full.
Were in the balcony.
First row in the front all the way on the right as you stand facing it.
Fire escape was immediately to our left.

Lil bit into the show and he's just killing it.
Neither one of us really that big of a fan of his.
His music has it's place.
Mostly clubs and field keggers lol.
 But live?
Oh good lord.
He duck walked forward all the way across the front of the stage.
He duck walked backward all the way across the front of the stage.
Played that big ass white guitar of his (Gibson I do believe) behind his head.

"Dude?"
"Yeah?"
"I gotta piss."
"Well go then." Rob says.
"I don't wanna miss anything."
Rob just turns away like oh well, your problem lol.
We stood, danced and sang the whole damn time.
I mean we had a blast.
Neither one of us could believe how good of a show it was.
"Hey"
"Yeah?"
"I'm going to go out on the fire escape, make sure and let me back in."
"What?"
"There's nobody out there I'm going to go take a piss."
I mean I'm like two stories up in the dark with a parking lot down below.
(The cars were far enough away lol)
Rob just laughs.
"Okay."
Turns out I could get back in without Rob having to open the door for me.
The rest of the show?
Whenever either one of us had to go?
Take a guess where we went lol.

2:55 mark lol.

"Josephine?
...your tank is leakin' baby
I think ya' better slow down, ride with me
Ya' say what?
Ya' ask me to hush up and mind my own business?
Uh...baby you are my business
You good business baby
I just looooove good business
Ya' say what?
Ya' ask me what kind of car am I drivin'?
Well, Uh...

I'm drivin' a '48 Cadillac with thunderbird wings
I'm tellin' ya' baby it's a runnin' thing
I could reach a groove a'baby .. get a gear
I think I could take it a'right outta here

Ride on Josephine, ride on
Ride on Josephine, ride on
Ride on Josephine, child ya' got a runnin' machine
Baby baby ride on Josephine, baby ride on."




He was still playing after two hours.
Big old body builder type just wailing on the sax all night.
They turned on the lights.
It was time for the show to be over.
They started pulling the curtain closed on the stage.
He started cussin.
"What the f&^%?"
They killed the mic.
He starts kicking at the curtain.
They drag him off the stage.
Promise.

When I was in high school he did a tour, fifty states in fifty days.
Did Hawaii and Alaska the first two days.
He played Armondos Palace on Bardstown Road on that tour.
I didn't get to go, I was too young but as soon as I got my license?
I went to see where this place was and what it looked like.
Bardstown Road, Highlamds.
Place is a fitness center now :-(.
I told Nich a while back I didn't remember how I came to find out about the Highlands when I was young.
It just came back to me :-).

"Ride on Josephine, ride on" indeed.

Love you.








No comments: