Thursday, October 31, 2019

The great Hells Angels food drive, brain sandwich, Victoria Secret hubbub.



Because you know,
who else you know ever been to a Hells' Angels food drive and tried a brain sandwich at a fall festival in the same day?

I told you a long time a go Lucy, if it sounds fun or interesting?
Count me in.

All started when me and my buddy went to pick up a garage door in town.
We got gas and the used car lot across the street had the baddest looking convertible.
Had no idea what it was but it was cool as hell.
More on that in a minute.

So we gas up, get the garage door and parts loaded up and go eat at a diner I hadn't been to in a while.
It was right across from where I used to work and close by to where the hospital used to be before it moved. We used to go there after visiting people or somebody got released from hospital etc.
So we have lunch and upon leaving I see a flyer on the wall.

Hells Angels food drive.
Saturday.
American Legion Post
Live music all day.
$5 cover or bring can goods for admission.

(needed picture of the diner and the flyer but oh well)

I asked my buddy, "Is that for real?"
He said, "I don't know."
I said well there aint but one way to know for sure.

The Evansville West Side Nut Festival was going on that same Saturday.
We had been talking about it earlier in the week and I had mentioned I had never been and always wanted to go. My buddy said they used to have brain sandwiches there :-).
Theres all kinds of food booths serving all kinds of crazy food raising $ for churches, civic organizations, etc.

So?
Before I set out on my journey?
Somebody lets it be know they want a gift :-).
Well?
Hadn't really bought her anything before so?
So?
Of course, not a problem.
Day just got a lil busier to get home before dark but I'm thinking we can get it all in.

So I set out.
First thing is, since I don't have picture of the flyer for the Hells Angels food drive I gotta go by diner and see where it's the drive is being held.

I thought hey, that cool car is right down the street, go find out what it is.
So?

I did.




Turns out it's a 63 tbird convertible.
68,000 original miles.
Sounded great.
Steering column tilts to right to give you more room to get in and out of the car :-).
Cool AF as the kids say.
$16,000.
The owner of the lot said he got it at one of those auto auctions in Louisville.

They also had this on their lot:


41 Chevy I think it was?
Pretty cool.

So I go by the diner, get the location of the food drive and off we go.

Hells Angels Food Pantry Drive.






Lets just say.
If you ever go to a Hells Angles philanthropic event?
Don't be quick to pull out a cell phone.
When in Rome, etc.
Didn't see one out the whole time I was there.
Not one.
Take clues from your environment people.
They had a big trailer they were using to collect the food in.
I took this picture from the sidewalk as I figured it was public property.

Gave them my can goods.
There were maybe 80-100 people there.
Signed in.
Went and sat down for a while to check it out.

Not what you would have expected.
Members were mostly younger.
Looked like a lot of ex-military types to  me.
Jeans were nice.
Leathers clean, etc.
It was around lunch time.
I'm sure things got interesting later but hey, 
I got a brain sandwich and a gift on my mind so I'm not sticking around long.

They were selling all kinds of merchandise.
Shirts, hats, stickers, etc.
Didn't expect that.




Trust me I asked before just whipping out the camera to get a picture of the stickers offered :-).
Anybody that knows me and my truck knows I was gonna buy at least one.
But which one would be appropriate?
I got the one that said: "I believe in angels" :-).

I had questions and several members were kind enough to answer.
I was thinking Fulton must be in California and the 81 was the chapter number here?

Turns out this chapter (The first charter issued in the state of KY BTW) is based out of Fulton County KY. You wanna talk about being out in the boonies?
I thought where I live is remote.
Not compared to Fulton County it's not.


I told the guy I was speaking to:
"Well thats pretty isolated"

He just smiled.
"Yeah, they kinda like it that away"

I told him I had been there. 
Crossed the Mississippi River on a ferry, been through Hickman etc.
He seemed kinda surprised I even knew where it was.

I asked about the 81 also and what it meant.
H is the eight letter of the alphabet and A is the first.
"Civilians aren't allowed to wear attire with "Hells Angels"
So? 81.
Learn something everyday Lucy.

After a few days it dawned on me.
The advent of biker culture in the US came about after WW2.
Lots of vets coming home didn't want the white picket fence and two kids and a dog lifestyle.
They had been exposed to horrific things during war time and just saw fit to set out on a new lifestyle and biker culture, Motorcycle Clubs (MC's) started springing up everywhere.

I believe we are in for a resurgence of MC's if were not already.
The way this country treats it's veterans is shame full.
People don't realize it but it always has been.


It's just not an accident this charity event was hosted at an American Legion post.
I've heard people say, many a time, "Well, when the fall comes we'll be okay, I got my guns etc."

Fact is?
Your gonna pay somebody.
Government.
Roving bands of Outlaws with far more firepower, numbers, training, tactics than you.
You gonna pay somebody when the time comes.
Period.

Okay.
Now lets go get that brain sandwich!

Sign on restroom door when gassing up on the way :-).



Love it :-).
Solves a lot of problems.

West Side Nut Club Fall Festival

Somewhere down there is a brain sandwich and I plan on at least trying it.

I asked a guy, "Hey wheres all the food?"
"Oh down there by the Ferris Wheel." he says.
Nice.
Sweet.
Wearing full leathers and carrying helmet :-).
Gotta get in and out cause you know, somebodys gift is a priority and want to be back before dark.





I found it.



Turns out the food booths are numbered  and there is a flyer that tells you where different booths are located but I didn't know all that until afterwards.
Once I saw the numbers on the booths I stopped and asked somebody where the brain sandwiches were.
"Booth 53" I think she said and they were like booth 49 so a lil further up the way and

Wallah 


They only had one "Zombie slider left so thats what I had.
I told the lady, "You guys are literally out of your brains."
I told her I was sorry, I had to :-).
She got a good laugh out of it.

I was excited.
Zombie slider?
Fried brains with Pepper Jack Cheese, Onion Straws and Sriracha infused mayo?


I thought, "Well I can eat pretty much anything with Pepper Jack Cheese, Onion Straws and Sriracha infused mayo.

Nope.
:-).
Couldn't do it.
One bite.
Not a flavor thing.
Texture thing.
Way to mushy for me.
But hey, I did get one bite down and I did try it, which was the whole point to begin with.
And let me tell you, I've lived plenty of days where I would have gladly eaten a zombie slider.
Just not this day.

Great.
Now the five mile walk back to the bike in full leathers. :-).
All for one bite of a brain sandwich. :-).


49 Mercury I think he said.
Taken on way out while they were lining up for the parade.
Love the grill.
Looks like an auger? Braces?
Saw lots of cool cars this day.
Nice.

Gift time.

I make it to the mall.



I see the place and I just start smiling.
Like I didn't know one of the reasons you asked me to go here this day was because you knew I would be in full leathers. :-).



Look says it all :-).
Like seriously?
You didn't think I knew why you asked me to come here today?
:-).
The sales people were very nice, professional, courthouse, helpful.
I think they got a kick out of seeing me there as well :-).

Leaving the mall.
On the corner of food court see this restaurant.
All Route 66 type stuff.
Stop to get a coke.

See this.



It was odd because before leaving my buddy's to go on this adventure 
we had been talking about gravity fed gas pumps from back in the day.
I see this and sit down.

Then?
I notice this is playing.


I just smile.
Serendipity indeed.

"the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for"

Beautiful day.
Welcome to my world everybody.
I love you honey.

















No comments: