Thursday, February 6, 2020

My Aunt



passed away recently.



Thats her high school picture.
Moms lil sister.
Favorite aunt.
Good woman.
Good mom.
Good wife.
Good grand mother.
Good Christian.
Just an all around good woman.

There are two things I remember most about my aunt.

The first was,
I went to visit her after I had moved in with my dad and step mom.
I was 15 and had decided to go live with them instead of my mom and step dad.
So I rode my bike over to her house.
She was like a grown up good friend.
I had always enjoyed talking to her and she always lent a listening ear
so made go sense to see her right?
Surely she would appreciate where I was coming from.
So I rode my bike from my dads over to her house to visit for a while.
Not really gonna get into all the details but that was a scary ass bike ride.
Busy roads, big ditches, railroad tracks, trucks, you name it..

So anyway.
I go to visit her and were making small talk and I decide to talk about why I am living with my dad now instead of my mom.

Oops.


Wrong subject matter to bring up.
She let me know in no uncertain terms she didn't wanna hear about it.
It wasn't her business.
It was between me and my mom and she was staying out of it.
Anything else we wanted to talk about was all good and fine but that wasn't happening.
I stuck around for a while.
But I left kinda mad at the time.
I wanted to explain my side of things and she wasn't having any of it.

It wasn't very many years after this happened It occurred to me just how right
my aunts actions really were.
That this was the type of person we should all aspire to be like.

The second thing my aunt would say was:
"Well, we made it through everything else so far"
Yep.

My aunt always, for years, sent me a birthday card.
Then later on it became a text.

I remember cook outs in grade school with her and my uncle in PRP in Louisville.

I remember sitting outside her and my uncles apartment waiting on mom I think
and this is like...third or forth grade maybe?
And this comes on the radio?


And dad turns it up?
:-):-):-):-).
Funny the things we think of when we remember people sometimes.

God bless you Connie.
You'll be missed.




No comments: