Friday, March 18, 2022

Lil Different

 

post this time while I'm waiting for my presentations to upload sweetheart.


This is a picture of the Eastern High School Boys Varsity Basketball team circa 1981-82 from my senior year book.



Political leaders in the state of KY came up as a topic of discussion and I mentioned that when I was in grade school Mitch McConnell was the Jefferson County (Louisville, KY) Judge Executive and that I could remember my mom and dad talking about how much they did not like the guy when I was riding in the back of the car over hearing them talk. All I can really remember is just how much they really didn't like the guy.

Fast forward to my junior year in High School (The year before this picture was taken) and I am in civics class with who I remember being told was Mitch McConnell's step-son, (forth from the left first row, M. McConnell). He sat next to me in class, we never talked much but one day I couldn't help but ask him, "Is your step dad really as big of a jerk (not the adjective I used :-) as everybody says he is?" He just kinda sighed, rolled his eyes and said something to the effect of, "Dude you don't even know how bad." I just remember thinking, well, case closed mom and dad were right, I just got it from the horses mouth pretty much. 

Going back to our discussion yesterday, the individuals I was speaking with could not find anything about Mike McConnell on line. Nothing. It's been 40 years so maybe my memory is a lil hazy but I really don't think so because I remember so vividly asking him that question in class that day. So a couple of questions come about: 1) why was there nothing online about Mike McConnell? and if Mitch was his step-dad? Why did he have the same last name?


Forth from the left in the back row is Herbert Crook. Sophomore D1 Blue Chip prospect extraordinaire. This was his first year at Eastern as his former school, (Westport High) was closed the summer before my senior year and half of their students sent to Ballard and the other half sent to Eastern. I had already been a Male Cheerleader my junior year and with the news that Herbert would be attending Eastern I thought you betcha I'm gonna be a Cheerleader again, this way I could get into all the games for free and watch him play :-). He ended up signing with U of L and was a starting forward on U of L's 1986 National Championship team :-). That team beat North Carolina in the sweet sixteen round and Duke in the finals:-). (Sorry David Lash :-). Needless to say, this is my favorite NCAA Basketball team of all time. 

Great times in those days, Denny Crum was coming to the games (I got his autograph on a U of L schedule somewhere :-) and Male High School had a senior D1 Blue Chip prospect extraordinaire people may remember named Winston Bennett who went on to go to U of K. Eastern and Male are in the same region and when Eastern played at Male High school that year? The entire town was electrified. Male High's gym probably held close to 8000 - 10000 people and the fire marshal eventually had to stop letting people in to watch the game. Seeing those two go at it at such a high level at such a young age was just something special to watch. And I got in for free and had a great spot to view the game!

I'll put it to you this way, One game? Herbert was trailing a guard on a break away on the right wing and the guard flipped the ball up from behind him, about a basket ball or two above the rim, Herbert took off from about a foot inside the free throw line, flying through the air at an angle, grabbed the ball with one hand in mid air, and just slammed down the most awesome dunk I have ever seen in person.

 Lil side note even though Herbert was a Freshman and a Sophomore when Winston Bennett was a Junior and and Senior? Herbert managed to win the 7th region scoring title all four years he was in school, averaging over 30 points a game all four years if my memory serves me right.

The guys on the wrestling team really didn't really like that I had quit to be a cheerleader my junior and senior year. Needless to say I didn't really care :-).

It's March madness time so, was just kinda in the mood to share, and that's weird about Mile McConnell a lil bit. I wonder what's up with that?


TYYS honey, I love you baby :-).



No comments: