Monday, March 26, 2018

Ezekiel 37 Commentary (a running post)



So now?

Lets look at the application of this vision and how it relates to the present calamitous condition of the Jews in captivity. Remember, these bones represent the entire nation of Israel (or all of God's people in a broader sense), both the northern kingdom and the southern, the ten tribes and the two. Here we are going to see what they are, as well as what they should be.

Remember the depth of despair to which they are reduced,  Ezekiel 37:11, "Then he said to me: “Son of man, these bones are the people of Israel. They say, ‘Our bones are dried up and our hope is gone; we are cut off." They have given up. Sound familiar :-)? They are lost and gone, they say "our bones are dried, we've been here to long, our strength is exhausted, our spirits are gone, all hope is lost, everywhere we have looked for assistance has failed us, no relief is in sight, we are all cut off from parts. Let those who wish to hope do so, but most of us see no cause to do so." And this is just so great as a side note, when troubles continue long, when hopes have been often frustrated, and when all creature-confidences fail, it is not strange if the spirits sink; and nothing but an active faith in the power, promise, and providence of God will keep spirits from quite dying away. (All I can say is, yep :-) Guess what though?) Notwithstanding all of this? Guess what they are not seeing? Yeah, they're not seeing The height of prosperity to which they shall be advanced. Therefore, because things have come to this last extremity, prophesy to them, and tell them, now is God's time to appear for them. Jehovah will see, will provide, "Man's extremity is God's opportunity." Ezekiel 37:12-14, "Therefore prophesy and say to them: ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: My people, I am going to open your graves and bring you up from them; I will bring you back to the land of Israel. Then you, my people, will know that I am the Lord, when I open your graves and bring you up from them. I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the Lord have spoken, and I have done it, declares the Lord.’” He's going to what? Restore you. To what? A condition greater than you were previously. (reference Joel 2 :-). Where are you going to go? Home. The place you've always belonged, whether you even knew it or not, you're going. Why? you ask. How do you know he has done it? The whole point of brother Joe's sermon a couple of Sundays ago. How do you know its to be done? Because, "I the Lord have spoken" and because of this what? "I have done it, declares the Lord." Tell them, say unto them, my words for me :-).

So now what happens?
They shall be brought out of the land of their enemies, where they are, as it were, buried alive. Ezekiel 37: 12. "I am going to open your graves and bring you up from them; I will bring you back to the land of Israel "(Home :-). All God's people shall be restored, not just the ones whose bones were scattered at the grave's mouth, Psalm 141:7, "They will say, “As one plows and breaks up the earth, so our bones have been scattered at the mouth of the grave.” but also those who were buried in the grave both literal at the proper time and figurative when people accept Christ and leave a life buried in sin. Though the power of the enemy is like the bars of the pit? And we think it's impossible to break through, strong as death and cruel as the grave they seem, and guess what? It...gets...conquered. God can bring his people up from the depths of the earth. Psalm 71:20, "Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up." Redemption, restoration, it will be yours, both when you accept Christ and when he comes back and we go to be with him. This? This is the providence of God Almighty alone. It's what his book is all about. However far you've wondered, whatever you've done. Redemption, restoration, new life, it's all right around the corner if you desire it.

So what's happening?
They shall be brought back into their own land. Ezekiel 37:12, "Therefore prophesy and say to them: ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: My people, I am going to open your graves and bring you up from them; I will bring you back to the land of Israel. Where what? Where they will live in prosperity, as in God's riches, both here on earth and in heaven. He will what? "place you there" Ezekiel 37;14 "I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the Lord have spoken, and I have done it, declares the Lord.’” God puts spirit in us to good purpose, and so that we shall indeed live, when he puts his Spirit in us.

And lastly?
What is done above all else in this vision? Whats the main accomplishment? People were brought back to life from being dead in sin? A nation was restored? Dry bones were built back into a living body? Hardly. The main thing here in all of this, is this, God will be glorified, period. "You shall know that I am the Lord" Ezekiel 37:13 "Then you, my people, will know that I am the Lord, when I open your graves and bring you up from them." God's rejuvenating the dead more than anything else contributes greatly to his honor and to the honor of his word, which he has magnified above all his name and will magnify more and more by the punctual accomplishment of every bit of it.

I will bring you back 

:-)






No comments: