Wednesday, November 29, 2023

I've been

 

aware of the Rastafarian movement since I was 19 years old. Thats over 40 years now. I had never ever seen "Jah" (The word they use for God) referred to outside the context of that movement...ever...in 40 years...Nowhere else but in that movement.

Nowhere have I ever seen it used outside of it.

Nowhere.

Let alone Christianity.

Then yesterday flipping through the illustrated Bible Dictionary 

contained in this reference Bible I happened across a few weeks ago

(for free at a thrift store :-)






Je'sus 
(Gr. and Latin form 
of the Heb. Joshua, 
or 
Jehoshua, 
the help of Jah, 
or Saviour).


From the


"Jehosheba (“oath to Jah” ) Daughter to Jehoram, king of Judah, but her mother is not mentioned. She married Jehoiada, the high priest, being the only woman of Aaron’s line who married into a royal family. She assisted her husband in preserving the young Joash (see ), ( 2 Kings 11:2). 


Jehoshua (“his help is Jah” ) . ( Numbers 13:16). 


(King James Version

16 These are the names of the men which Moses sent to spy out the land. And Moses called Oshea the son of Nun Jehoshua.)


Jehovah . Jehovah-Jireh (“Jah will see” ) The place where Abraham was about to sacrifice Isaac. Lost. ( Genesis 22:14). Jehovah-Nissi (“Jah my banner” ) Place of an altar built by Moses in memory of a victory over the Amalekites, on Horeb ( Exodus 17:15). Jehovah-Shalom (“Jah is peace” ) Place of an altar built by Gideon in Ophrah, in memory of the salutation of the angel, “Peace be unto thee” ( Judges 6:24). Jehovah-Shammah (“Jah is there” ) The name of the city in Ezekiel’s vision (Ezekiel 40; Ezekiel 48). Jehovah-Tsidkenu (“Jah our righteousness,” in Jeremiah 23:6 ). Supposed to be one of the titles of the Messiah. It was the prophetic name of a king to be raised up (a branch of David), who will reign and prosper, executing judgment and justice, Also, it is to be the name of the Jerusalem of the future, as the city of the great king ( Jeremiah 33:16)."


FYI

APRIL 18, 2018

(When I wear a bracelet?

When I look at it?

I think:

"Fuck this world and all the nonsense, corruption, oppression, rampant consumerism, materialism etc."

Thats why I wear one sometimes Lucy :-), it helps me remember whats important sweetheart.


And:

Alright

"Jah = God."


So yeah.

Jah is a name for God.

:-).

Sweet.

I dig it :-).


No comments: